Friday, November 14, 2008

Meet the Chef

Yes, it's true, I fancy myself a chef. I have the aprons to prove it. Not to mention the extensive (or, maybe, just expensive) cooking supplies filling up my kitchen. And, yes, MY kitchen. Others may use it, but I think anyone that steps foot in it, will tell you it is mine. I am my father's daughter (and apparently my cousin's cousin) so any kitchen I choose to occupy instantly becomes mine. Starting this blog is one of the few times I'm willing to share when it comes to the culinary world. 

Here, I plan to let you into my kitchen, without actually letting you in. You can't get in my way (and I will step on you if you do), but you can still be a part of the fun! 

Today's lesson: the art of the Tailgate. Game day is one day where I am not so domesticated. It's a day to replace the apron with the Terps jersey, the pot holders with the Terps gloves. I might even allow a boxed mix to sneak into my repertoire on this most sacred of days. I've learned that not everyone takes the Tailgate so seriously, but at Maryland we not only dress the part, but we really do bring our kitchen to the parking lot. 

Tomorrow is Game Day. And what am I serving up? The seasonally appropriate slow cooker mac n cheese. Which I can only imagine will be accompanied by the grill master's (not me, by the way) apple sausage followed by steak quesadillas. And for dessert? Brownie muffins. Not to mention whatever treat my fellow tailgate chef, K, whips up (another french toast casserole perhaps??).

Before I don the apron let me share my recipes.

Macaroni and Cheddar/Parmesan Cheese
Fix -It and Forget-It Lightly (Phyllis Pellman Good)
Serves 8

8-oz elbow macaroni, cook al dente
13-oz can fat-free evaporated milk
1 cup fat-free milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups grated fat-free sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 grated fat free Parmesan cheese
Nutmeg, to taste (optional)

Spray inside of cooker with nonfat cooking spray. Then, in cooker combine lightly cooked macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, eggs, 3 cups cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using).

Top with remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheese.

Cover, Cook on low 3 hours.

Brownie Muffins
Lisa Lillien
Makes 12 muffins

1 package devil's food cake mix
15 oz can pure pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine ingredients. Place batter in lined muffin tins. 

Bake for 20 minutes. 

There you have it. A healthy tailgate meal! Absorbs your beer and keeps you warm. And for next week? Stick with me while I plan a series of brunch menus. 

No comments: