Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Art of Giving

One of my favorite hobbies is giving gifts. Therefore, food + gifts = me so happy. The first gift basket I made was for my grandpa's birthday. I made all of his favorites and presented it to him at his birthday party.

I just got a basket at the craft store, one that can stay open on it's own for presentation. I got some blue ribbon (grandpa's favorite color) to decorate the basket and to tie the treat bags. The next step is to get some sort of filling, also found in your craft store. Some sort of straw is nice: nothing heavy, but sturdy enough that food won't sink too far down. If it's a little messy (as mine was), I recommend a piece of wax paper at the bottom of the basket to keep it from falling through the wicker.

Onto the food. Some sort of pound cake or bread (banana bread, say) is nice to "ground" the basket. Just wrap in plastic wrap and pop into the center of the basket. I like symmetry, so I put flowers on each side along with peanut butter cookies in two treat bags. Next came the truffles, in a decorative bag, a jar of peanut butter, and finally, homemade strawberry jam in the center.


A basket can be made for any occasion and as simple or elaborate as you (or the recipient) desire. Craft stores have all sorts of packaging options for a fair price and can really spruce up a basket, if you will. Not to mention their lovely assortment of faux flowers, if you don't have fresh available. Next time you get stuck for a gift idea: try your hand at a basket. Or give me a ring and I'll whip one up for you!

No comments: